Thursday, January 10, 2008

Stupid stuff

What is the stupidest thing you own? What is the most embarrassing, demoralizing, shameful, silly, so first world, decadent, frivolous, lame thing that is truly a waste of: material, shelf space, transport time, fossil fuel used to get it here across a polluted ocean that you own. For me? It would probably have to be...the treadmill that I gave away a while ago. I finally realized I didn't like to use it--it was sooo boring walking on that thing. Instead, I started walking...outside! There's a lot to say for outside. People underrate outside.

I actually don't think I have a lot of stupid stuff. I haven't ever bought much of anything. But, I know I am still blanketed with the warmth of first world privilege. If I wanted to go get a Roll Up Piano ( Learn to play the piano, all without purchasing a pricey and bulky keyboard! ) or a doorbell that plays Let the Eagle Soar or a stretch of fake grass for my porch I could go right out and get it. It would be cheap and easily found.

Isn't that remarkable? Isn't it amazing that with all of our resources in this country, all our ease at finding information, our openness, our freedom of speech, our literacy, some of the most plentiful stuff we come up with is absolute crap?!?

Mood rings and pet rocks when I was a kid. Glittery bling for cell phones nowadays. Do we need this stuff? Does the garbage gyre in the Pacific Ocean need to get bigger because of our thirst for junk?

Any way. Spill. What stupid stuff do you have? Let's see who can come up with the most ridiculous thing.

2 comments:

Shelley Sargent said...

I responded on Mothering as well, but here is mine:

My friend gave me an "Eggstractor." You simply boil the egg, place it on this little pin, push and the egg will supposedly pop out peeled. I have never used it and dont believe it would work. I will keep it in view for 2 months and then give it away!

Laura said...

OMG blessed wife and mother! That is hilarious. What is the labor involved in peeling a hard boiled egg???

Did the friend give you this gift as a real gift? Was it a joke, or did he/she think it was a helpful thing for you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...