Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Won!! But, I Don't Want to Talk About It...

Obama won! He is our President Elect and on January 20th we will all welcome in a new way to deal with our problems and with the world. It is thrilling and reassuring to think that America voted for such a man as Barack Obama. He is brilliant and we are all very lucky he focused his attention on serving all of us. He could have chosen a very different, smoother path.

But, you know what? I'm tired. I'm tired of politics. I'm tired of fights. I'm tired of worry. I'm tired of anxiety. I want to just trust in Obama and let him handle it all and not pay close attention and just politically coast through the next couple of years. "It will all be good.", is what I want to say. And yet...

I voted for Obama because I thought he could lead us out of this impossible morass that Bush drove us into. I cared about the issues facing us all and still do. So, I can't really let go of that. The issues are still there. I'm hopeful that Obama's policy positions will lead us towards better times, and better relationships. However, people still need to be vigilant--it doesn't matter that it's Barack Obama leading the charge. We all still need to be there behind him, watching him, urging him on, voicing contention, voicing agreement--Right On!

After 8 years of Bush, we especially need the next president to know that all of the trashing of the constitution needs to stop and be rolled back. I know Obama believes this too, but we The People need to make sure it happens. That only happens when the electorate is awake and paying attention. Except for me...

I'm taking a vacation from blogging about politics. I'm taking a break. I'm not going to talk about Obama's appointments. I'm not going to talk about the partisan fighting that will come. I am at the end of my rope here. I'll still pay attention in my own way, but I can't write about it any more. At least, not for a while.

Until I get so enraged or elated about something, in which case, I'll post about it tout de suite.

Congratulations, President Obama! Well done. I'm very proud of all of us right now.

Yes we can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An extra smile today. I came over here from PW's site to say thank you for your excellent questions and insights. Don't know if they'll get answered, but they are right on. I'd go on a bit about faith and belief in God as contradictory with so many of our practices here in the U.S. but I'll leave it at that. Your experiment sounds pretty interesting so I'll be back to see how it's going. And I remember the year I got a vacuum cleaner for Christmas and was overjoyed -- it was the best present I could receive because it made a daily chore so much easier (lot's of carpet in the house we were in). Keep up the questions -- I was so delighted to come across your post.

Laura said...

Thanks Tamsen. I like PW's photography and quirky kid stories, so I keep going back, but...They are an incredibly wealthy family and the folksiness seems a little put on to me. I see a some irony when MM posts about all of this poverty he's encountering in the Dominican Republic and then PW posts about a Limoge box. Does anyone see a disconnect there?

I really mean the questions I asked. It seems like their project is supplying fish rather than the fishing equipment and the ultimate goal there is spiritual transformation of their own particular brand.

I'd like to see a project where the people are given a chance to escape their poverty, not just renew their faith.

Thanks for visiting here! Welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...