Friday, November 21, 2008

Better Get on That

A month or so ago, a friend of mine asked me what I was doing for Christmas. "What do you mean?", I asked. I didn't understand the question. What she meant is what am I going to buy, and from where? I hadn't thought about it yet, but she was almost done with all of her shopping--some people are that organized. Isn't that amazing?!

My friend Unnamed admitted that several years she would buy her gifts on Christmas Eve! Her friends would call her up and see if she was headed out, and they'd join her and it would be a fun party shopping at the mall together. I think that this was waaaaay pre-kids. I don't think you could joyfully drag kids around a crowded mall on Christmas Eve and still have anything resembling the feeling of good will towards man. "God bless us all, everyone!" would be replaced with, "Walk faster, jive person in front of me! Do you see that opening in front of you to the left??? Go!!!! Go!!!" as you do a halting stutter step behind him for 50 feet.

Shouting in your head doesn't feel very good, does it?

Any way, if I start looking at used books on line, and get little trinkets at Goodwill here and there, I should be able to pull it off in time for Christmas.

My son has other ideas. He has recently seen a commercial for a remote controlled helicopter that has infrared lasers that temporarily knock out the signal of another helicopter, rendering it disabled. He hasn't quite worked out that you would have to get 2 helicopters in order to have the cool, perfectly executed dog fights that they show. Also, it costs just three easy payments of $29.95. Yeah, son, read that as $90. You can round up the nickel. So, 2 helicopters would cost $180. That's not ever gonna happen. Ever.

My daughter is wanting to add to her collection of Calico Critters. While they are cute, we are still trying to stay to The Compact, even for Christmas. Are there used cuddly critters somewhere? I need to check. There might be.


I would love to get a camera. I have a little point and shoot and I can't control anything. I used to have an Olympus OM I and I manually adjusted the shutter and the f stop and I made some great shots. Then, digital came in and we got a simple camera, and I never touched my nice camera again.

I think I could get a used camera that combines the best of both worlds, and it wouldn't require another one for me to have fun with it. Although, maybe it could have infrared lasers, 'cause that's cool. And, who doesn't want cool?

My husband told me the other day what he would like for Christmas, and then I promptly forgot. I have absolutely no idea. What was it? When you read this, Husband, please tell me again. OK?

What, gentle readers, are you getting for Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Winter Solstice/Yule and any other holiday that I have not listed?

You better get on that...

7 comments:

grace said...

I've been working on gathering handmade and/or used gifts for my long list of folks for several months now. I am about 2/3 done, and I still have no plan for my partner. Starting early doesn't always help. But I do feel good about not having (so far) purchased anything from traditional retailers. If I can do a 100% used/handmade Christmas, I'll be very happy about that.

Laura said...

Maybe that's the trick of it--start way ahead of time so you can look and find real finds. But, if you don't like to shop..

I dig your photo! I'm going to have to check out your blog now!

Laura said...

Grace! You don't have a blog--just a photo.

ebehm said...

Grace *does* have a blog -- follow the link to 'my web page' from her profile.

And a nice recipe for bath bombs, too. I just might try it!

Laura said...

Thanks ebehm--you're right and in fact I've been to Grace's site and like it very much. Sorry about the slight on your site.

Alliteration!

Mama bee said...

I would think there are used Calico Critters somewhere. They've been around for quite a while - I had some when I was a kid (I'm 26). Good luck!

Laura said...

Thanks Mama Bee. I had no idea they were that old--I thought it was a new phenomenon. We're just new to it. I bet I will find some--I better get looking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...