Saturday, November 8, 2008

Guess What My Kids Are Eating for Breakfast




Go ahead, guess. No, it's not eggs. Nope. Not oatmeal either--we had that the other day. No, they are sitting in front of the TV watching Animalia and eating...chocolate ice cream!

Have I lost my mind? No. I haven't.

First, I got out the peanut butter dip that I had made the other day and had them dip apple sections in. When they were done with that, I gave them each a small bowl of homemade chocolate ice cream.

We made the ice cream a couple of nights ago and it is filled with co-op farmer goodness. Well, not that it's filled with farmer--just the goodness they provide.

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Ice Cream

3 egg yolks
1/4 cup cocoa
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 cups raw cream
1 cup raw milk
a giant slosh of maple syrup (maybe 1/4 cup or more)

Note: Usually, I use raw honey in this recipe, but the honey has crystallized and I didn't feel like slowly melting it in a water bath. Maple syrup works well in its place and is full of manganese and zinc too.

Whisk everything together and make according to the ice cream maker's directions.

I must report that I've seen TONS of ice cream makers at Goodwill. You can have a fun addition to your diet and easily get the tools you need from a thrift store, or as always, on E-bay, or Craig's List.

This is a delicious, smooth ice cream. It has the raw ingredients that supply loads of enzymes. It has unpasteurized raw milk and raw cream which also supplies Vitamin C as well as easily assimilated minerals. The cocoa has anti-oxidants and the egg yolks supply an additional bit of protein.

It may look like goopy sweet junk food, slowly melting in the bowl, but in fact it is a fabulous boost of healthy nutrition for my kids. Plus, they get the treat of eating ice cream in the morning! How decadent can you be?!

The peanut butter dip is great too. Is that too boastful for me to say that? Well, it is great though!

Peanut Butter Dip

Giant glop of peanut butter--maybe a 1/4 cup or so
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. raw honey, or to taste
1 Tbsp raw milk, or enough to make a smooth, easily dipable consistency

Use as a dip for apples, grapes, celery (not that my kids would, but yours might). It tastes very close to caramel apples when you dip the apple in.

You can also fill whole grain pitas with the peanut butter goop. Or, you can spread it on whole grain English Muffins, or bagels.

It is nice to have on hand in the fridge.

The peanut butter supplies protein and the raw honey gives a boost of Vitamin B and is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal. Any time I can sweeten with raw honey, I do.

I am just sitting here having coffee. I better go get something to eat too. Hmmm. What will I go get?

Go ahead. Guess...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So what did you eat?

Laura said...

Ha, Ha!

Eggs...

But, I wanted you to think I was going for the ice cream too. 'cause that would be naughty and fun.

*sigh*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...