Sunday, April 20, 2008

New Poll About Fluff Pieces

I just made my husband read my last post and listen to Incense and Peppermints, and he kind of was derisive, a little. He sort of thought I just called that post in. My husband feels that I am a good blogger--thank you--and thinks that I can skip a day if I don't have anything really compelling to write.

Yeah, I could do that.

The whole point of this blog is to chronicle how this year of living on the compact is working for us. That's our hook. It's our gestalt. It's our prime directive. I'm trying to raise people's awareness of what, how and when we consume and to suggest that there may be a different way for us all to live. I think I'm probably preaching to the choir a lot of the time. But, there may be some people who have stumbled across here and are curious and are nudged a little by what they read here. I'm not trying to enlighten any one--that's not my job. I know I always feel defensive when someone is trying to enlighten me. I don't like when they speak pointedly about something, like I don't realize how they're talking?! I really do get that you're trying to correct me. Come on!

I'm just sharing here. I think that's a little different. You get it, or you don't. You can go enlighten yourself, while I'm working on my own understanding of everything, and my kids' and therefore I don't have time or the arrogance to think to know where to steer you too. Go find your own path. And when you get there, maybe you could share with me what you've found out. I need all the help I can get.

I do want to have serious discussions about the serious workings of the world. I think we're all in trouble. I do. I look around and am seeing a whole lot of fiddling while I see flames. Other people see flames too. When you are concerned and sensitive to the world's problems, it can be a heavy load to carry. It's good to know you're not alone in your concern and it's good to lighten the load every once in a while.

Which brings me to fluff pieces. I've written a few. This, this, and this are all fairly fluffy pieces. I think they're fun. They're not ground shaking. You're not going to get blown away and inspired to go save sea turtles looking at those posts.

Anarchist Emma Goldman is supposed to have said, "If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution!" I think it's good to have joy and happiness. It doesn't serve the world to be depressed. My kids are beautiful. I want a whole world for them and their progeny. In the mean time, while they're here, I want to enjoy my life with them. Yes, I see trouble all around me, but I can't possibly be sunken by it--not for myself, my husband, my kids or the world.

The poll at the left addresses this idea. Do you want fluff pieces here ever? Is it fun to have a break from garbage gyres in the Pacific and Condeleeza Rice OKing torture? Or, should we not have a break from that stuff? Should we know even more about it? These are worrying times and my posts should reflect that and not be silly.

Go vote! Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...