Friday, March 14, 2008

Hello-is There Anyobody Out There?

Above, you see a map of viewers to my blog. It changes from day to day, but this is fairly representative.


Hello all of you. I know you're there because I see my stat counter and the map it generates. Hello.

When I started this blog I had hoped that it would all become a conversation about how we consume in this country and whatever else was the subject matter at hand. Enough of you either like what I write here, or are curious about our homeschooling lifestyle, or like my take on the political wrangling going on this election cycle that you return--day after day after day. You've even answered polls, sometimes, rarely, you've left a comment or two (thanks!).

Lately, the lack of comment on your end has been getting to me. You are not obligated to leave a comment. Sometimes there's not an obvious opening for a comment or it's simply not thought provoking enough or I've summed it all up so brilliantly that there's really nothing to add...or, something. Some people never want to leave a comment even if they have fantastic ideas and could really add something to the conversation...But, this blog is anonymous. You don't have to sign with your real name. You can just float an idea out there.

I just think this whole blog thing would be more fun if it did become a lively conversation. I'm turning to you for some ideas about how to make it more so, and then the irony of that makes me smile a little bit--I can hear the chirping of crickets. Listen. OK. That's you guys not talking. Hello! You are letting the chirping crickets do all of the talking. Well, I do all of the talking and then the chirping crickets answer me. You don't want chirping crickets to shape all of the conversation do you?

Come on. Pipe up!

6 comments:

That Raw Vegan Girl said...

Ha I got the first one on this post;) I do enjoy your blog. We are on the same page about not buying. I think its a wonderful ideal to bring attention to a topic that somehow gets overlooked. I know we want to leave the smallest foot print as possible when we go.

Laura said...

Hey Steph--thanks for posting!!

It is incredible how much junk there is out there generally and how much pressure there is to go and get it.

I think it's more and more difficult to leave a small footprint...

siobhan said...

Actually I would have been the first to post as I wrote a comment yesterday, a rather lengthy one, then the word verification letters were not there so I couldn't get my comment published. This is what I said: I know what you mean about no getting comments, it's sort of like having a one-sided conversation. I was originally attracted to the title of your blog as I'm trying to reduce how much I consume. The more I read, the more I am interested in you and your lifestyle but a lot of the stuff is not relevant to me so I don't comment. Making the effort to comment is like making the effort to be sociable, sometimes you can't be bothered but when you do, you rarely regret it

Mrs. R said...

I'm out here! *waves*

I know how you feel, though. I know people visit my blog every day, but I rarely get any comments. I envy other bloggers who have these wonderful conversations going on in their comments section. *sigh*

Mama bee said...

I pass through periodically (usually when I see your sig on MDC), and just wanted to say hi. I think it's great what you and your family are doing, and appreciate you putting yourself out there for others. Sorry for lurking so much!

Laura said...

mama bee thanks for speaking up! Sorry for bitching so much...

Lurkers are most certainly welcome here.

Thank yous to all the visitors here, extra thank yous for those who comment.

Welcome to all!

Comment when you want, and lurk when you want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...