Tuesday, July 29, 2008

There Will Be Blood


My husband and I finished watching this last night and there was blood, and I didn't like it. Daniel Plainview--what an evil, evil, unredeemable character.

He wasn't interesting the way Robert DiNero was playing Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver. He wasn't captivating although dark and dangerous the way Humphrey Bogart was as Duke Mantee in The Petrified Forest. He was just cruel and cold and hollow.

I guess I just get skeezed out by sociopaths. I also couldn't stand No Country for Old Men.

I heard an estimate somewhere that 1 out of every 25 people in the population is a sociopath. Maybe they won't kill, maybe they won't be criminal, but they won't care. They won't recognize your shared humanity with their own. You're maybe an object, or an amusement, or a hindrance to them--whatever else you are, you aren't human in the same way that they see themselves. And doesn't 1 out of every 25 sound like a high number to you? Disturbing.

Who needs a scary movie when you can just ponder that reality?

2 comments:

Neo-agrarian said...

Hear hear!!! No Country For Old Men was one of the worst movies I have seen. I am not sure if it was because it was hyped as being so good and my expectations were so high for it or what. The premise was plausable in the begining but quickly turned into a psudo slasher movie as Anton Chigurh became more Michael Myers than sociopath. The trail of dead bodies he left behind and the lack of police investigation was laughable. How many people and cops do you have to kill to actually get attention in the Southwest??? Fargo was way better. At least it was grounded in reality that actions actually have consequences and people tend to notice dead bodies and shootings. And that was set in the less populated North Dakota. I wanted 2 hours of my life back after seeing "Country"

Laura said...

I loved Fargo. There are plenty of dark characters in there, but there was also a great humor with the pregnant police officer and the sweet romance between her and her struggling artist husband. At least there was a backdrop of light quirky characters to balance the dark quirky characters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...