Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sophie and Daisy

Sophie.

She was my cat and she lived for 19 years. Her littermate is still alive--Daisy, and is now 23 years old. Daisy is my sweetie now, but it was all Sophie when she was alive.

She would meow and purr and rub her head on your ankle, claiming you as hers...she would sleep in the bed and curl up with me or one of my kids or with Daisy, just cuddling and being cozy and warm and calm.

Her eyes would shrink to relaxed slits as she purred and looked peacefully out at the world. I miss her.

Daisy has grown more affectionate now, and she's lovely.


It was heartbreaking to see her walk into a room and look around for Sophie during the first few weeks after Sophie died. She missed her and didn't understand.

Our animals are just raw, authentic, guileless emotion walking around, aren't they? How would it be if we were more like them? Other than the gross stuff, of course...

Here is Daisy as she lives her life here with us:

She remains patient and calm as my son gets very close to photograph her.



And then she's had enough, because how much can a 23 year old cat take?


She's stealthy through the jungle.

She likes going places.

She goes hither,

and yon.

Daisy thinks about it

and decides it's time for a nap.

We love our cat. Do you have animals in your life? Do you feel with them and towards them? Do you feel their love for you?

Isn't it amazing that we can feel affection from an animal--I mean, you know when they love you, adore you, are so excited to see you!! And isn't it equally amazing that many of us feel that they are a part of our family and feel love for them? We care for them and want them to be OK.

Who is your Sophie or Daisy?

2 comments:

Holly said...

I just started reading the book "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin. It's quite fascinating so far. What I would love to know is why some people feel such a connection to animals and others don't? I have an involuntary empathy for animals I sometimes wish I didn't have. If I see something disturbing involving an animal, I will think about it for days, months, even years- it bothers me that much (this is the main reason I'm a vegetarian). It's not like that for most people, I'd love to know why...

Laura said...

I feel a connection to animals--very much so.

I also can not stand stories of animal cruelty or pain. I can't watch anything about it on local news. It's all too painful.

Maybe some of us have a stronger primal memory and see our shared ancestry with animals? They have 2 eyes, 2 ears, arms and legs. Something is in common from way back then. There's a reason we have the same number of vertebrae as a giraffe even though we're very different. Or maybe some people feel the interconnectedness of every living thing in a stronger way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...