Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wonderful Words

As unschoolers, we don't generally think about how or when our kids are reaching certain standards of learning. We just know that they are learning, and at this point, that really is enough.

My daughter who was late to give up pronoun confusion--she would say "her" instead of "she", as in, "Her went to the store to buy a book."-- announced to me as she looked for some colorful construction paper, "Mom, you need to get some colorful paper, we have scarcely any."

"...we have scarcely any." The "scarcely" in her sentence just struck me as very erudite for a little 8 year old kid.

She likes her words!

Pronouns schmonouns! My daughter is on her own timetable and is coming along very nicely, thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I agree.
For a long time my daughter referred to the lawn mower as a "mow lawner." I never corrected her because she spoke so well so early, I treasured the cute mistake.

Laura said...

My kids' mispronunciations are self-correcting, so I don't worry about it and enjoy the way they talk and also treasure it. They're growing so quickly and mispronouncing words is such a wonderful little kid thing.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I like mow lawner too.

Loztnausten said...

I love this one! :)

Terri said...

I love this post and couldn't agree more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...