Monday, May 18, 2009

What's Your Philosophy?

How do you order your life? Do you just drift through? Do you have a set of rules that you live by that are dictated by your faith? Do you see yourself as part of something greater? Or do you see yourself as a mere mote floating through the infinite space of the universe? Is it all some cosmic game, or is it preordained and proscribed from on high?

Do you believe in fate? Are some things meant to be? Why? Are you a marionette with strings pulled from somewhere out of the frame?

Is it just about you? Did Atlas shrug?

What do you think?

Some radical unschoolers frame their relationships with their kids in the light of death. Do you really want to argue about penmanship when your child could be dead tomorrow? Or you? Does that make the time we spend together meaningful? Life is just a blip--phst--it's gone.

I know a man who lost his dad this last Tuesday. His dad died as he wanted, at home, and after having last visits with his family. This same grieving man came home, after visiting with his father, and on Thursday was laid off after having been assured for months by his boss that he was safe. When he finishes up his work in the middle of June, he will have been with the company for ten years.

Was that fate?

Do you believe, as I do, that the universe and all that is in it is beautiful and amazing and it's perfectly OK to not know why or how it all came to be? But what about the stuff that's not beautiful?

Do you feel in any way obligated as a passenger on Earth to try and make it better somehow? Do you feel, as you walk around all day, connected to everybody and everything, or do you have to get the laundry done?

Here's a Zen proverb:

Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.

That's about right, isn't it? You have to keep on keeping on, because that is a function of being alive.

What's your philosophy?

Let's hear Miss Sally Brown as she sings about her new philosophy, and then maybe you can tell me about yours.







4 comments:

dmboo said...

I have to believe that there is more to your philosophy than just: "the universe and all that is in it is beautiful and amazing and it's perfectly OK to not know why or how it all came to be"
You certainly seem to have a lot of questions that you haven't volunteered any answers to.

Laura said...

Yes, but the original questions was, "What's Your Philosophy?"

I have all sorts of things that I believe, but I want to hear from readers what YOU believe.

Here's your chance!

Susie said...

Wow. A lot to think about and a lot to process. Good questions!

My life is summed up in love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind and with all your strength and love your neighbor as yourself.

That's what gets me through the laundry and the day to day. It's also what gets me through the tough stuff. (Also knowing that God won't give me more than I can handle helps!)

I think that there is a lot to look into with these verses. The second, to love your neighbor, can especially mean different things to people.

I think it's saying that I should love others through my words and actions. Of course I love my family and friends, but I should also try to love those who could be considered an "enemy."

I'm told to and try to help the less fortunate, be kind in my actions, love those that are completely different from me and most of all do not hate.

What helps me do this is the knowledge that my actions and words impact those around me. This is also how I'm trying to teach my daughter compassion toward all people and more about who God is and how He can be in her life.

Well, that's my two cents :)

siobhan said...

What a question, I haven't even had breakfast yet!

Interesting and thought provoking post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...