Thursday, May 14, 2009

Update on Robins: II

I looked in the nest many, many days ago. First, I saw one egg. And then, two days later I saw two eggs. Several days after that, I saw four eggs.



At least three of these eggs have now hatched, and the parents are trading off feeding them. The male flies to the nest with food hanging from his mouth, and the female leaps out of the nest to go look for food.

Round and round they go--seemingly non-stop in their effort to nourish their young. I can empathize...

They're good parents and very protective. Today, I saw the mama chase a squirrel through the fence and into the neighbor's yard. The squirrel hadn't done anything wrong, but maybe the mama could detect a certain nefariousness in the squirrel's countenance that my human eyes are too dull to pick up on. Or, she's just making sure. Either way, don't mess with this robin family.

More to come soon...

1 comment:

DoulaMomma said...

what about the 4th egg??
I love that they totally co-parent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...