Thursday, March 19, 2009

And Speaking of Reading--A Confession...

OK.  That last post wasn't really very light reading.  But, I do think it's important reading.  I think it gives an inside view as to how the scientific community speaks to one another about problems in medicine and research and vaccine production, hidden away from the public's eyes. It was very candid, wasn't it?

Not light reading, but illuminating.

This post, however, is not about that post.  This is its own post and is not dependent on some old-timer post.  This is new blood.   This is one of the smartest and brightest.

No it's not.  Joking!  There's actually no pressure on this post.   It can just be without judgment--at least no judgment from me.  It may be judged harshly by others, but that's between the post and those people--not really my business.

Here is this post:

I must confess.  I just read the first part of The Hobbit and skimmed the rest,  because--this is difficult, but I will just let it gush out in one agonized admission--I HATED it!

I know!!   How is that possible?!

I don't know what to tell you, but I couldn't care less about poor Bilbo Baggin's adventures.   I didn't care when he was stuck in the mountain.  Couldn't care less.  I didn't care when he was in the forest and there were spiders everywhere--I had faith that he'd get out of it somehow.   But, I was not worried or concerned.

I knew his compatriots would fare OK too--even the big one who had to do things by himself.

I never read about the dragon--I assume they managed it--right?

I just blithely, and without a twinge of regret or guilt in my conscience, carelessly skimmed to the end and read that Bilbo got back home and they were impudently selling all of his stuff! But, even then I didn't care...

I felt great sympathy for when Bilbo was hungry--which was a lot of the time.  But then they'd be a guest to someone and eat some roasted haunch and drink up water or mead or ale.

I liked the character of Bilbo Baggins.  I hated the story of The Hobbit.   

There, I said it.  Do with it what you will.  As I said, it's between the post and you--leave me out of it.

P.S.  If you must know, I also hated the first Batman movie, the musical Chicago, feathered hair in the late 70's and early 80's, The Bridges of Madison County...

Go ahead, chew on that!

2 comments:

Neo-agrarian said...

How you could hate the Hobbit is very strange. Especially since you loved the Potter books which for all intent and purposes pulled many of the elements of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings into her books. Look up harry potter and lord of the rings in a google search and you can find many list side by side that shows how much is taken from Tolkien. The point is that yes you knew Bilbo was going to be alright because it was about the events before the ring trilogy. Just like golly I hope Obi wan doesn't die in episode 2.... He can't!!!! he is in the 4th movie. The point is it is a classic journey piece and works well on so many levels of a person/hobbit finding his own path in life. Plus remember it was written as a children's book.
http://www.davidslife.com/funstuff/tolkien/analysis.htm

Laura said...

I know!! How could I hate it...and yet, I do!

I loved the hobbit character, as I said. I just didn't care about the struggles he went through.

Harry, Ron and Hermione, on the other hand, had me at the first page. I have always loved their exploits.

It's a shocker--I know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...